[u-u] Virtualbox and Vagrant

arocker at Vex.Net arocker at Vex.Net
Fri Dec 5 16:06:45 EST 2014

> What are you trying to do?

I'm trying to set up a test environment for a Web application, with the
server running in VB, accessible to a browser on my host machine.

Using everything as out-of-the-box, I can ssh into the vagrant machine,
and ping the host. Attempting to ping the Vagrant address from the host
fails. (If ping doesn't work, I think it's safe to assume that http
won't.) There does not appear to be any kind of firewall in the way.

Switching the one network interface to "bridged networking" makes ssh stop
working. Attempting to leave the first at NAT and adding a second
"bridged" does not appear to be effective. (The setting disappears.)

Searching for "vagrant ping" produced a page on Stackoverflow;
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/25433488/vagrant-can-not-ping-guest-machine-from-the-host
but I haven't translated that advice into a working setup.

Advice on a suitable approach, or better, a reliable FM would be welcome.