[u-u] Virtualbox and Vagrant

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Fri Dec 5 16:29:58 EST 2014

On 2014-12-05, at 1:06 PM, arocker at Vex.Net wrote:

> I'm trying to set up a test environment for a Web application, with the
> server running in VB, accessible to a browser on my host machine.
>
> Using everything as out-of-the-box, I can ssh into the vagrant machine,
> and ping the host. Attempting to ping the Vagrant address from the host
> fails. (If ping doesn't work, I think it's safe to assume that http
> won't.) There does not appear to be any kind of firewall in the way.

I wouldn't be so sure of that.

I forget all the details, but if I'm not too drastically mistaken there
is a chance that there's a NAT in there somewhere.  I.e. ping may well
fail, depending on the NAT implementation, where a TCP connection works.

In any case, the safest test is HTTP, or at least "telnet -n N.N.N.N 80"
or similar.

--
						Greg A. Woods