[u-u] Expired SSL certificate

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.net
Wed Dec 30 21:11:53 EST 2015

On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 17:20:13 -0500
"D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy at druid.net> wrote:
> By the way, JavaScript just to make something blink?  Really?  Also,
> can we run the HTML through a validator?

So, to answer my own question, the JS is there to create blinking in
opposition to almost everyone's wish for blinking to die a horrible
death.  The blink tag is no longer supported by any current browser and
we should all rejoice, not work around it.

As for the invalid HTML, see http://darcy.vex.net/uu/ for an example of
a fully compliant HTML5 page that is almost the same.  The biggest
change is to limit the width and that can be reverted by removing one
line.  Feel free to grab the source and use it.

I even left the blinking text in although I am pretty sure no browser
will render it.

https://validator.w3.org/nu/?doc=http%3A%2F%2Fdarcy.vex.net%2Fuu%2F
https://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fdarcy.vex.net%2Fuu%2F&profile=css3&usermedium=all&warning=1&vextwarning=&lang=en

Ironically, a site that I checked that discusses why the blink tag is
so annoying managed to keep popping up annoying ads.  I have popups
disabled but turned on JS on that page to see all the text.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves
+1 416 788 2246     (DoD#0082)    (eNTP)   |  what's for dinner.
IM: darcy at Vex.Net, VoIP: sip:darcy at druid.net