[u-u] Source of quotation

Vance Shipley vances at motivity.ca
Thu Aug 11 13:42:47 EDT 2016

I don't have a quote I can vouch for but I love the story of Theodore Gisel
(Dr. Seus), when asked how his book was progressing, proudly told his
publisher that over the last week he had removed twenty words.

On Aug 11, 2016 11:08 PM, "Greg A. Woods" <woods at weird.com> wrote:

At Thu, 11 Aug 2016 09:25:54 -0400, arocker at Vex.Net wrote:
Subject: [u-u] Source of quotation

> I found the source of the quotation about design that I offered last
night:

> Antoine Saint-Exupery: http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/26979.html

I'll have to add that to my quotes file next to a similar one by
Einstein about simplicity, written in about the same time:

    It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make
    the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without
    having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of
    experience.
        -- Albert Einstein
        From  On the Method of Theoretical Physics,  the Herbert Spencer
        Lecture, Oxford, June 10, 1933.

The more pithy version of Einstein's quote is apparently better
attributed to a paraphrasing by Sessions:

    I also remember a remark of Albert Einstein, which certainly applies to
    music.  He said, in effect, that everything should be as simple as it
    can be but not simpler!
        -- Roger Sessions
        The New York Times, January 8, 1950
         How a  Difficult  Composer Gets That Way

--
                                        Greg A. Woods <gwoods at acm.org>

+1 250 762-7675                           RoboHack <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>     Avoncote Farms <woods at avoncote.ca>