[u-u] How to brick your laptop

Doug Lee douglee at vex.net
Tue Feb 2 19:09:26 EST 2016

Many commentors to this article claim that it is bad firmware design and
that the EFI spec, if followed correctly, does not allow this to happen.
It is also pointed out that you may recover by re-programming the EEPROMS
with an external programmer if the firmware files are available.
Another comment suggests that dual bios motherboards are not a cure as the
variables may be stored in  a separate EEPROM. Someone suggests that MSI
motherboards are particularly bad.

https://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=UEFI-rm-root-directory