[u-u] Sams book

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 09:00:03 EST 2016

On 15 January 2016 at 08:15,  <arocker at vex.net> wrote:
> Has anyone taken a good look at "Teach Yourself Shell Programming in 24
> hours"?
> https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/sams-teach-yourself-shell-programming/9780672323584-item.html
>
> It's the text for a course I might teach, but, based on the quality of the
> corresponding Perl volume in the series, I'm prepared to be unimpressed.

I've read parts of a huge number of books about Bash scripting and
"shell programming" (working at the library helps).  Haven't looked at
the one you've mentioned though.  If you're looking for Bash-specific,
the two best by a wide margin (in my opinion) are O'Reilly's "Learning
the Bash Shell," and our local Chris F.A. Johnson's "Pro Bash
Programming" - which I think I actually read in its entirety.  The
latter may not be optimal for those with no existing knowledge of the
shell: it teaches Bash almost from the ground up but assumes you know
your way around Unix/Linux pretty well already.  Hope this helps.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr at gmail.com