[u-u] Keyboards...

Colin McGregor colin.mc151 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 12:59:57 EDT 2017

This is a follow-up on the question I raised at last evening's meeting,
both to get feedback from a wider audience and to provide links for those
who might of been interested in the topic...

ErgoDox and Dactyl keyboards, does anyone here have any experience with
either? I am currently using a Microsoft Natural keyboard on my "main" home
computer, ugly but very comfortable to type on, so conditionally
recommended. The ErdoDox and Dactyl keyboards both look even uglier than
the Microsoft, but are they even more comfortable?

There are open source plans for both the ErgoDox and Dactyl keyboards where
all the plastic parts are (in some cases just) inside the limits of what my
3D printer can print. Further the idea of a near infinitely customizable
keyboard, the colour of the parts can be decided by the filament used for
the 3D printer so say green keys in a blue case is an (ugly) option, the
keyboard controller is a little Arduino compatible controller with open
source ( http://qmk.fm/ ), so qwerty or Dovark or ... layout can be chosen,
and the keys are Cherry MX switches or compatible so pressure need to press
a key or if the key makes a click noise is selectable. The keyboard is thus
a "forever" keyboard, as any part that fails can be replaced without
tossing the whole keyboard, which has a strong appeal. But obviously there
is no point moving forward with something like this if it is uncomfortable
to type on. Anyone know? Thanks.

Here are links to a Dactyl and an ErgoDox keyboard 3D printer files:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2535256

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2523675

<https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2523675>

All the best.