[u-u] Odds and Ends

Adam Holland ajh8888 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 08:57:08 EDT 2018

Hi all,

Some odds and ends, as I tend to communicate in short, very infrequent
bursts:

   1. HTTPS for unixunanimous.org (as per the URLs appended to the bottom
   of mailing list messages) gives me a strange error.  If not already a known
   issue, ask me for details.
   2. I'm in the process of ceasing all use of Google services this summer
   (I'd wanted to do this since 2013/Snowden, but it was beyond my skills
   and/or my emotional state - until now).  One thing I always had a problem
   with is how to handle the volume of certain mailing list output, especially
   with busier Linux communities which I am subscribed to.  It is the conflict
   between wanting those messages away from my inbox because they're not
   directly to me (and there are lots of them!), and not wanting to miss out
   on important announcements that I need to see, such as QA release blockers
   which I would want to help out with asap.  Any advice, or links to good
   suggestions would be great.
   3. Is anyone aware of a service that has the functionality of Youtube
   but which is not in the possession of a large corporation with shady
   privacy policies?  As somebody without cable/satellite TV, without Netflix
   and soon to be without Youtube, I'm feeling like a hermit in my desire to
   enjoy multimedia clips and to share those with my friends.  Failing that,
   is there currently a software project I could host myself?
   4. As per a discussion at a U-U meeting several years ago, I did try
   NetBSD on my old SGI O2, but never installed successfully as the disk
   partitioning was a nightmare
   <https://gnats.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=46958> to
   me.  I did subsequently learn of pkgsrc which could be set up on IRIX to
   give me the compiling capability that it was lacking.  At this time I am
   not going to dive back into IRIX, but if anyone has a real need to try
   something out under that OS I am willing to make that available as I don't
   know how much longer the machine will remain in working order.
   5. I never found an answer to my concern about the CheckInstall
   <https://free-as-in-lost.blogspot.com/2017/10/checkinstall-is-unmaintained-and-broken.html>
   software project, something I thought would be extremely wise to adopt
   early as I explore more and more software projects that require
   installation from source.  If anyone can offer guidance as to what
   direction I should be looking, if not in the direction which CheckInstall
   was going, please do.

-Adam