[u-u] Odds and Ends

David Gilbert uu at dclg.ca
Fri Jul 20 15:18:19 EDT 2018

Well... there are two possible solutions.  One is to have a
full-featured mail server with server-side filtering.  With server side
filtering, you establish simple rules that gate mailing lists into
sub-folders.  Potentially, you also deliver a whole domain to one
mailbox so you can give out "crappytire@" to some retailer ... s.t. you
know if they leak it to other organizations, but also s.t. you can
"block" crappytire@ and create crappytire2@ if you still need to give
them an address to get some free stuff.  Free is good :).

You could say, do this with mail filtering in a client (say
thunderbird).  This is imperfect as when your client is not online (your
desktop is turned off, say), your other devices will receive all the
mail that isn't being filtered.  You can also (say) run oldskule
filtering in a simple mail setup ... with home directories and whatnot.

... but if you're running your own mail server, I highly recomend
postfix/cyrus.  Cyrus includes imap and sieve and postfix is just good.
Add an installation of "roundcube" (webmail) on top of that...
(roundcube has a nice editor for sieve) ... and youre GTG (good to go).

Keeping a good mail server online is a fair amount of work, so...

The other possible solution is to keep a google mailbox for mailing
lists only.  This is a compromise, but it can work well if you don't
post much or don't want to post under your own name.