[u-u] Throwing gasoline on the fire..

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 08:57:48 EDT 2018

On 22 July 2018 at 04:17, Bill Duncan <bduncan at beachnet.org> wrote:

> Yep, that works, for bash.
>
> I once dealt with an org that had over a hundred "vi" users and one
> emacs user. We had set puppet up in a way that you could mark env
> files to be distributed to your home directories everywhere. I was
> the only one that had .inputrc as one of the files.
>
> I also suggested we set root up with "vi" and was voted down because
> hardly anyone wanted to learn a new way of working on the command
> line. From all those vi users! They mostly wanted to continue
> using arrow keys and backspacing over the things they changed.
>
> Sad..
>
> Cheers!
>
> On Sat, Jul 21, 2018 at 11:00:42PM -0400, William Park wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 21, 2018 at 08:14:22PM -0400, Bill Duncan wrote:
> > > Religious debates are always fun..
> > >
> > > http://billduncan.org/vi-or-emacs-really/
> >
> > Yes, I'm using vi-mode on Bash command line!  In addition to .inputrc,
> > you can also use 'set -o vi'.

I've been a vi user for about 20 years (these days NeoVim), and no, I don't
use the arrow keys - I know what you mean and try to help people learn
useful commands like c3w or ci" .  But I disagree about the command lines:
for me, command lines are simply too short a block of text for
mode-changing to make sense.  And there's also no mode indicator, which
means you have to stop and think about what mode you're in - or hammer on
the escape key only to immediately return to insert mode because that's
what you wanted to be in ...

I get that it can work for some people, but I don't agree that it'll work
for everyone.

--
Giles
https://www.gilesorr.com/