[u-u] Odds and Ends

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Tue Jul 24 12:01:44 EDT 2018

At Tue, 24 Jul 2018 05:28:53 -0400, Adam Holland <ajh8888 at gmail.com> wrote:
Subject: Re: [u-u] Odds and Ends

> The quickest way I can implement all your great advice is to have two
> secondary accounts, one for the wanted volume from mailing lists and one
> for the unwanted volume from commercial sites who will likely spam me after
> registration. With /etc/aliases, I understand that I can assign a bunch of
> email addresses to either of these two accounts.  This will result in a
> cluttered but presorted pair of mailboxes which can be further filtered
> based on the incoming address, later down the line.

Yes, what you propose should work well and be reasonably easy to manage.

Note for those who don't directly manage their own mail server
(i.e. those who cannot edit their MTA's equivalent of /etc/alises), many
MTAs will allow somewhat arbitrary suffixes to be appended to the main
"local" part (username) of the address (e.g. separated by a '+', or
sometimes a '-' or '.'), passing them all to the same main INBOX, and
then those can be used either by the MUA and/or server-side filtering
such as Sieve to sort mail into different folders.

I do a little of all three (aliases, multiple mailboxes, and suffixes),
plus multiple domains all on the same mail server.

> Other unanswered points:
>
> -The remark about my SGI O2 was not that I wanted to make use of it for
> privacy purposes, I offered it for use in case anyone wanted to compile/run
> something temporarily under IRIX as a curiousity or something else uncommon.

Once upon a time I would have been interested as the SGI compiler was a
unique beast and it was always interesting and helpful to try building
projects with it.

These days though I haven't heard of anyone trying to target that
compiler in nearly a decade, except of course those who still want to
run IRIX for retro-computing purposes.

> -My search for a Youtube replacement would be more of a webpage that embeds
> short clips for playing in-browser.  The purpose would be for enhancing
> on-line socializing with say, funny cat videos, rather than file sharing of
> full-length films.  This is proving to be the hardest service to find a
> replacement for, none of my contacts have found anything workable yet.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Vimeo yet.

It seems to still be independent, and I think it has always been a step
ahead of YouTube in terms of technology (Flash free without browser
addons well before YouTube).

From the Vimeo page on wikipedia I found:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_hosting_services

--