[u-u] Suggestions for stopping occasional spurious use of commercial wi-fi

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Mon Sep 17 08:39:31 EDT 2018

On 2018-09-17 6:37 a.m., D'Arcy Cain wrote

>> What's a good approach? I have considered
>>
>> * MAC address lists,
> That's what I use. The only issue is that you have to add them in
> manually. Not as convenient when your friend comes over and wants to
> connect to your wifi. It would be nice if there was a way to see a list
> of who is trying to connect so that you can at least cut and paste the
> address. Perhaps something with the DHCP logs assuming that you are
> doing the DHCP on an actual computer instead of some off the shelf router.

The newer Rogers router (not a Cisco, it's actually some Chinese thing)
allows you to tune off filtering, connect a new device, mark it as
allowed and then turn filtering on again.

Just don't do it to many times, or the router wedges and needs to be
power-cycled. That can be annoying when you're trying to get all your
devices recognized (;-))

--dave