[u-u] redhat licensing / subscription

Dan Astoorian djast at ecf.utoronto.ca
Thu Apr 9 12:35:18 EDT 2020

On Thu, 09 Apr 2020 11:51:24 EDT, Jim Mercer writes:

> my understanding is that once we have that, we can then do as you do, with th
> CLI tool to register a given instance, so it has access to the repos and such
> .

Yes... basically, on each host to be subscribed, we ran

    subscription-manager register --username=[...] --password=[...]
    subscription-manager attach --auto
    subscription-manager repos --enable=[repo1] --enable=[repo2] ...

The man page suggests that "subscription-manager attach --auto" attaches
"the best-matched compatible subscription or subscriptions to the
system," so you may or may not need to specify --pool=POOLID instead of
--auto if you don't want your production servers slurping up development
licenses or vice-versa.  (If they do, however, you can remove them and
attach them to another machine.)

Haven't done this since RHEL6 (we went from that to CentOS 7), but I
presume the interface hasn't changed much.

> i've kicked it upstairs to purchasing, so, we'll see.

I've never dealt with the contract negotiation/purchasing side, so
you're on your own there.

Good hunting,

--
Dan Astoorian, Systems Administrator