[u-u] FreePBX expertese? Re: Business Internet Providers in Toronto?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Fri Feb 7 12:47:47 EST 2020

| From: Hugh Gamble <hugh at phaedrav.com>

| Anybody know and recommend some local FreePBX/Asterisk expertise?

What's the current situation with VoIP privacy and security?

When I played with this stuff long long ago, encryption wasn't normal
with SIP.  The actual VoIP transport (negotiated by SIP) was RTP, and
there was a secure version (SRTP) but no way to negotiate session
keys.

One problem was that SIP was envsioned as peer-to-peer so any crypto
would have to be opportunistic.

In the Real World, most VoIP seemed to end up client to ITSP and so
cryptography could have been pre-arranged (but generally wasn't).  I
never found an ITSP willing to connect through an IPsec tunnel.  VoIP
clients (SIP phones and the like) were not secure either.

Once your VoIP traffic gets to the ITSP, they need to ship it to its
destination.  They generally use a mixture of the PSTN (Public
Switched Telephone Network) and VoIP trunks of some kind.  What kind
of security and privacy regime is used for those?

I would not want to run a business with my VoIP traversing the
internet in the clear.  Remmeber: metadata also matters.

There are priprietary VoIP programs that have varying levels of privacy
but they tend not to have a gateway to the PSTN and they tend to lock you
into their client software (no conventional handsets).  I certainly don't
know what's available.