[u-u] Cheap/free VOIP home phone

D'Arcy Cain darcy at druid.net
Sun May 24 14:03:55 EDT 2020

On 2020-05-24 13:54, Dan Astoorian wrote:
> Today I tried to use my netTALK phone for the first time since switching
> to the new Rogers cable modem, and had two calls half-terminate after
> (almost exactly) 15 minutes--the other party could hear me, but suddenly
> I couldn't hear them.  (If that symptom rings a bell for any of the SIP
> experts on the list, I'll happily listen to any troubleshooting advice.)

OMG!  That does ring a bell.  I am sure that we had that issue at Vybe
at one time.  For the life of me I can't remember how we solved it but I
know that we did.  If I remember I will contact you but I am pretty sure
that it was a setting in the server, not the client.

> I then discovered that they freephoneline.ca charges a one-time fee of
> $99.95 +taxes to "unlock" VOIP and get SIP settings.  It's still looking

Stuff like that just pisses me off.

> Anyone have experiences with other non-business free or low-cost VOIP
> providers they would recommend using, or avoiding?

What is cheap?  We start at $15/month and go up to $25 for unlimited NA.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves
+1 416 788 2246     (DoD#0082)    (eNTP)   |  what's for dinner.
IM: darcy at VybeNetworks.com, VoIP: sip:darcy at druid.net