[u-u] Audio diagnostic software

David Gilbert uu at dclg.ca
Wed Sep 16 15:25:08 EDT 2020

On winblows, there is a demoware series of audio applications that give
you many more "audio devices" that are virtual in one way or another.

https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/index.htm

One of the things on offer there is "virtual audio cable" ... a device
for windows that has an audio in and audio out device that they
connect.  This allows you to to connect an application's "out" to
audacity's "in" and so on.

Another is a virtual mixer.  The various versions of the mixer add some
number of hardware and software "in" and some number of hardware and
software "out" ... included, also, is 4-track recorder/player.

In terms of diagnostics, this can give you visibility to the difference
between hardware and software problems.