[u-u] A U-U question possibly answered

Ken Burtch ken at pegasoft.ca
Thu Sep 17 13:58:40 EDT 2020

Hello Folks,

Yes, I have visited the Wikipedia Data Hub entry.  It is very
questionable, having been written about the time MarkLogic released
their Data Hub software.  It reads like an advertisement.

I read a bit on the Snowplow analytics project, which is more about
establishing a chain of ownership and defining how data is distributed.
I believe the company is doing something similar to this but, while the
data hub may fit into Snowplow, it is not required.

As I understand it, the System Architect defines a "data hub" as a place
where a software service houses the information it needs to function.
Basically it is a web service on top of a database of one form or
another.  Within the data hub, there are two types of data: the original
data--the data produced by the software service, and also cached
data--copies of data owned by other services--is also stored there.  The
data hub destroys the cached data entries when its software service no
longer requires it to fulfill its duties.  Other software services can
also download data from another hub and store it in the cache section of
their data hub.

If tied into Snowplow, it would work along these lines.  When new data
is stored (perhaps a new customer profile is made), it is broadcast to
all services.  If any service has an interest, they could retrieve a
copy of the the information and cache it locally in their data hub.

The System Architect says this is in widespread use by many organizations.

Ken B.

--
Ken O. Burtch
Open Source Entrepreneur, Linux Architect & Author