[u-u] Keeping old machines running.

Colin McGregor colin.mc151 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 09:32:22 EST 2024

Back when dinosaurs still ran the world (ie: +/- 72 million years ago)
the standard for high performance mass storage was SCSI hard drives.
Of course SCSI has been superseded by other storage solutions, but for
various reasons some people want / need to keep those old machines
that use SCSI drives in operation. The problem is those SCSI drives
are old and failing. I've run across a solution for anyone desperate
to keep one of those old machines in operation, BlueSCSI. In summary
BlueSCSI uses an Arduino series Pico controller and a microSD card to
mimic a SCSI hard drive. All the files required to build a BlueSCSI
are available for free here :

https://bluescsi.com/

With those files you can build a BlueSCSI from top to bottom.
Alternatively, you can get it as a kit or pre-assembled.

I don't (any longer) have any machines that use SCSI, but I know our
community has a few people that love those old servers so might be
interested in a way to keep those dinosaurs up and crawling with new
hardware.

Colin
VE3ZAA