[u-u] Terminal Emulation

Hello Kittyhawk bdb at GTS.Infra-service.CA
Thu May 12 00:51:54 EDT 2011

On Thu, 12 May 2011, Vance Shipley wrote:
|On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 05:47:40PM -0400, Claude Morin wrote:
|>
|}  Does anyone have substantive information about PuTTY's shortcomings?  To
|}  this point I've seen only invective.  Heck, PuTTY's terminal emulation
|}  (sorry Vance: here's <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_emulator> a
|}  definition for you :-) even supports tall/wide characters.
|}
|}  What does SecureCRT do for me that PuTTY doesn't?  What functionality
|}  justifies using a closed-source solution?
|
|A terminal emulator emulates terminals.  It's job is to act
|as identically as possible to the terminal it is emulating.
|
|PuTTY emulates only one terminal, you can't select which type it is,
|and it does so minimally.  SecureCRT has many types it supports and
|it does a very good job at it.

	Cygwin has gnu "screen", which can make one
	sane or krazee according to one's predilictions ...

O .		Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario	+1 416 410 0879
  o  _///_ //	Email: bdb at GTS.Infra-service.CA		WEB: http://fukthe.us
   <`)=  _<<	Yet another sign of the coming apocalypse:
      \\\  \\		Laurie Anderson on Letterman