[u-u] Sams book

Hello Kittyhawk bdb at 0123456789-abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvw.xyz
Fri Jan 15 15:22:35 EST 2016

On Fri, 15 Jan 2016, Jim Mercer wrote:
|On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 09:41:12AM -0500, Ken Burtch wrote:
||FYI I am also local and wrote shell book, though it's a few years
||out-of-date.
|
|if your shell scripting depends on new features, you are doing it wrong.

	Agreed.  I have studiously avoided using bash for many
	reasons including its lack of portability, cruft-avoidance,
	and irritation caused by linux poeple who create "portable"
	apps/tools which only compile/run on linux but not on real unix

	Also for those reasons the suggestion to use exepedients like
	"make -j `getconf ...` is functional only in a subset of
	linux distribtuions

O .		Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario	+1 416 410 0879
  o  _///_ //	Email: bdb at 0123456789-abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvw.xyz
   <`)=  _<<	Cave Pilus Cani
      \\\  \\		( Beware of the Hair of the dog ;)