[u-u] Anyone have a suggested use for a PVR?

Doug Lee douglee at vex.net
Sat Jan 30 12:26:35 EST 2016

Why not eliminate Rogers? Ditch the pay TV, put up an antenna and carry on
PVRing over the air free unencrypted TV. Better quality that pay TV as
well because pay operators all water down the bit rate of many if not all
channels to fit more into their bandwidth. If you can see the CN tower,
you can receive the local stations. If you are in a good spot, you can
receive many more. See this link for a map of what's available.
http://www.remotecentral.com/hdtv/

And this link for a popular forum about free over the air TV including
technical discussions and how to get started info.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/81-over-air-ota-digital-television/

To receive the signals with your computer, you will need an ATSC tuner
card, many of which are supported on Linux. BSD support is pretty sparse
unfortunately.

Information about this can be found on Linuxtv.org. This might be a good
starting point:
https://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATSC_Devices
Hauppauge devices are the most likely to be supported.
                     Doug