[u-u] Odds and Ends

David Gilbert uu at dclg.ca
Mon Jul 23 16:09:17 EDT 2018

On 2018-07-23 16:01, Jim Mercer wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 02:50:55PM -0400, David Gilbert wrote:
>> One of the primary reasons I stick with cyrus is the good fuzzy feeling
>> I get from the fact that each email is stored in one file (folders are
>> ... surprise ... directories) with index files that can be rebuilt from
>> the source files.

Fair enough, but unlike maildir, it does not require the mailbox owner
to have a unix account.  So like maildir, but provided as a service
without prividlege.

But that said, it's still very unixy.  There's no "export mail" function
because you don't need one.  In a multidomain setup, your path is
The database files can be separated into the same tree structure
(replace data with meta) s.t. you can divide the disk access between
index functions and data retrieval functions.

I've been using cyrus for about 20 years now.  When I started, dovecot
either didn't exist, or somehow bit my ass.  The ability of cyrus to
cluster and scale is well documented.  Support for things like NFS and
federations is mature.

Anyways... just don't store your email data in relational DBs.  Waste of
effort.