[u-u] Odds and Ends

John Sellens jsellens at syonex.com
Mon Jul 23 16:31:53 EDT 2018

On Mon, 2018/07/23 04:09:17PM -0400, David Gilbert <uu at dclg.ca> wrote:
| Fair enough, but unlike maildir, it does not require the mailbox owner
| to have a unix account.  So like maildir, but provided as a service
| without prividlege.

Storing mail in maildir format does not require a unix (or other local)
account.  Dovecot and courier for example both allow various types of
user authentication, most commonly a database lookup.

I haven't used cyrus in many (many) years, so I can't compare cyrus
and dovecot, though I suspect they're relatively on-par feature-wise,
but dovecot seems to be more common.

Cheers!

John