[u-u] ethical objection to Zoom

Hugh Gamble hugh at phaedrav.com
Sat Jun 13 02:33:02 EDT 2020

 Google has done the same, only more so, and more often.
For the same legitimate reasons.
Anybody considering a boycott of Zoom
would do better to start boycotting all Google consumer and B2B
services.

Jitsi is too small, to new, and to incomplete
to have the kinds of problems all successful systems run into.
But Open Source(tm) licence encumbered software
is not free from political problems either.

We've seen a recent fracturing of open source style licence models
based on divisive and punitive politics and infighting.

Personally, I'm as concerned about companies that continue to operate
in the US
as I am about companies that operate in Russia or China.
And as a Canadian I am most concerned about the ethics of Canadian
software and services.

Let's try to minimise the harm from Canadian censorship by companies
like Google
by patronizing companies like Baidu and Yandex that place fewer
restrictions,
and less manipulation on Canadians.

That said,
if somebody in this group wants to locally host a Jitsi server,
I'm willing to give it another shot.