[u-u] Unwanted console messages

arocker at Vex.Net arocker at Vex.Net
Mon Jan 19 17:50:59 EST 2015

Possibly coincident with an OS version (Mandriva)  upgrade, I've been
getting messages blasting all over open console windows. I think they're
essentially all repetition of the following block:

Message from syslogd at localhost at Jan 19 16:31:39 ...
 kernel:MC4_STATUS: Corrected error, other errors lost: no, CPU context
corrupt: no

Message from syslogd at localhost at Jan 19 16:31:39 ...
 kernel:Northbridge Error, node 0

Message from syslogd at localhost at Jan 19 16:31:39 ...
 kernel:Link Transmission error.

Message from syslogd at localhost at Jan 19 16:31:39 ...
 kernel:Transaction type: generic(generic), no timeout, Cache Level:
L3/generic, Participating Processor: local node observed as 3rd party
(OBS)

They're not useful, since nothing appears seriously wrong, and there's
nothing I can do about it anyway.

/etc/syslog.conf shows everything going to /var/log/ files. How can I stop
this spewing all over my screens? (Really annoying when editing, or trying
to follow a train of thought.)