[u-u] Unwanted console messages

Hello Kittyhawk bdb at GTS.org
Mon Jan 19 21:21:50 EST 2015

On Mon, 19 Jan 2015, Hello Kittyhawk wrote:
|On Mon, 19 Jan 2015, arocker at Vex.Net wrote:
||Possibly coincident with an OS version (Mandriva)  upgrade, I've been
||getting messages blasting all over open console windows. I think they're
||essentially all repetition of the following block:
||Message from syslogd at localhost at Jan 19 16:31:39 ...
|| kernel:MC4_STATUS: Corrected error, other errors lost: no, CPU context
||corrupt: no
||Message from syslogd at localhost at Jan 19 16:31:39 ...
|| kernel:Northbridge Error, node 0
||Message from syslogd at localhost at Jan 19 16:31:39 ...
|| kernel:Link Transmission error.
||Message from syslogd at localhost at Jan 19 16:31:39 ...
|| kernel:Transaction type: generic(generic), no timeout, Cache Level:
||L3/generic, Participating Processor: local node observed as 3rd party
||(OBS)
||They're not useful, since nothing appears seriously wrong, and there's
||nothing I can do about it anyway.
|
|	either a software bug (or possibly a config botch
|	showing up with new o/s version) - or an underlying
|	hardware issue which the newer o/s version may take
|	more seriously & thus warrant further investigation

	a google session turned up a number of references,
	all of which relate to actual hardware issues of
	various kinds ("MC" == "machine check")

	this URL gives some background for more details &
	some tools to help diagnose the actual problem which
	apparently should not be ignored if you are seeing
	such output as often as you seem to be experiencing:

		http://www.mcelog.org/faq.html

O .		Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario	+1 416 410 0879
  o  _///_ //	Email: bdb at 0123456789-abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvw.xyz
   <`)=  _<<	Yet another sign of the coming apocalypse:
      \\\  \\	Gwyneth Paltrow rapping NWA classic "Straight Outta Compton"